Best tasting  fruitcake! I’m so excited!  The holidays are not the same without it! And if it won’t last more than 4-6 weeks, could/should I freeze it? Thank you Karen! Grease and line 5-6 mini loaf pans. Hi laura, i made this fruit cake for my father yesterday for his birthday and i must say after following your instructions one by one it wasn’t just easy to make but the resulting piece was mouth watering. You most likely could, but it is a much stronger flavored alcohol, so it is really up to you and your taste preferences! 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg Notify me of follow-up comments via e-mail. really appreciate it. also, i can’t really taste the difference between the dried cherries and the raisins– but i think it is probably because i used brandy, a grape product, instead of rum. Unfortunately I haven’t tested it, so I can’t quite say the change in texture but I don’t see why it would cause a huge amount of problems. Wow, such an amazing recipe. These Rock Cakes or Rock Buns are easy to make, taste delicious and perfect if you want a recipe to bake with the kids.  There’s no way this is staying around for weeks! Haha! I should finally attempt to do one! I made this last year and am soaking my fruit again at this moment. Hey Laura, thanks for sharing this recipe. Is that alright or do i need to soak them in a bowl as u mentioned in your recipe? So sorry for only just getting back to you. Hi Tanya! Don’t see why that would be a problem at all 😉 Enjoy! Thank you. I had soaked all my four loaves with it. Eek! I made this cake to see if it would be suitable for my husband to take tramping (hiking). Hope this helps! Hope this helps! Cover up with marzipan and royal icing. Thanks in advance for your help! Butter as well…. Put 1kg mixed dried fruit, the zest and juice of 1 orange and 1 lemon, 150ml brandy or other alcohol, … Could you soak in triple sec? Moist Christmas Fruit Cake - super flavorful fruit cake recipe that is moist and sure to please this holiday season, get the recipe. She is still getting the hang of leaving comments–for a while she thought she had to put her full name in the “contact” form. This is heaven.Â, Threw not through. I’m assuming so, but I’ve cut up all the dried fruit ready for soaking and it’s LOADS–I just don’t think 6 liquid ounces will come close to soaking all of it, given that 6 ounces is less than 1 cup! I wish I could be more helpful! It sure did with me for 59 years. I don’t see why not, just a matter of taste preference! Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes, rotating the pans halfway, or until the cakes have set. My family are all about the British Christmas too! My mom will be so honored to hear this. Currants in the US (sometimes called zante currants) are essentially just small raisins (they’re made from grapes), so they don’t offer much of a flavor contrast from the other raisin addition. Hope this helps! .juice  is added to the booze and soaked overnight and it always works really well. So instead, I tested and updated the recipe to include regular raisins and golden raisins for contrast. Beat butter and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until just combined, beat in eggs, one at a … Or it’s the scene from Harry met Sally. Means a lot. Mini Chocolate Bundt Cake with Peppermint Frosting Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your thoughtful comment and hope you’ll have a chance to come back to visit the post and leave a review 🙂. So happy to hear that!!! But he likes it with marzipan and icing (traditional British–I live in the UK). If you would rather not soak the cloth every week, don’t worry about it! Can you soak the cheesecloth in amaretto? I plan to reapply the liquor every week. A few days or a week would probably work as well – but it can also be stored for a very long time too. Preheat the oven to 300 F or 150 C. Rasa Malaysia © 2002–2020 Bee Interactive Corp. If you recognize today’s dessert, you deserve a pat on the back! Brush 1-2 tablespoons over the cake right when it is removed from the oven. I have a few questions about this recipe. Keep it up Laura.  If I had had THIS when I was a kid, life would have been VERY different. hi laura- i am getting ready to make my fruitcakes for christmas. I cooked it for 1 hour 50 minutes at 130 degrees celsius (since we work in celsius in the UK–and 300 converts to 150 C, but then minus another 20 degrees C because my oven is fan-assisted, as are most British ovens these days–fan-assisted meaning convection). 😂) but definitely go with fridge. Hi Julie! Perhaps Bob’s Red Mill brand? Am just about to soak the dried fruit in a glass jar and i realise that the rum barely soakes till the top. This fruit cake contains a ton of dried fruit. Soaking tonight, baking tomorrow! Required fields are marked *. I (and others!) And finally, is 6 ounces of rum 6 liquid ounces?  It is way too delicious – I sent him off with something else and kept the cake here at home. Dear Laura,Thanks for sharing the recipe of the Fruit Cake.I prepared your recipe. Hope this helps! Thanks friend! And I am preparing to make it for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I wouldn’t recommend freezing it personally, as the texture would probably change! Pour the brandy or rum into the chopped mixed fruits and nuts. Happiest of holidays! Seems like you really tested the formula . The cake looks perfect and fabulous to bake for a special day. i also used dates instead of figs, but other than those 2 things, i stuck to the recipe. Never understood the lack of enthusiasm for them in the USA. No, it is supposed to be stored in the fridge! What is the purpose of so many eggs, besides the usual things that eggs do to cakes. THANK YOU for again for your feedback, so I could update the recipe for others. She doesn’t do a marzipan layer, because she likes to soak/continually brush the fruitcake with booze as it sits and we choose not to do a royal icing on ours (which is *usually* why you would add a marzipan layer) -BUT basically, you want to brush the top and sides of the fruitcake with a glaze – apricot jam thinned on stove and cooled down will work well for this – and then get about 2 tubes of marzipan from store.  NOW, i will serve it warmed or on fire, and add either marzipan, carrotcake frosting, or butter for those who want. Stir over low heat until the sugar has dissolved. We have 9 and that feels big sometimes. Remove the bowl from the stand mixer. I love love fruit cake but have never found any shops that sell ones that I like. All content is copyright of A BEAUTIFUL PLATE and Laura Davidson, © 2010-2019, unless otherwise noted. Allow paper to come 5cm above the sides of the pan. So thrilled to hear this Kim! Learn how your comment data is processed. Do you think they would work ok? I’m just thinking there is less chance of mold in the fridge. Or can I replace with soya powder ?  People will have to vote affirmatively to get one next year. Thank you so much for the hard work on this recipe. Â. Way better than those horrible store bought ones. With that said, this fruit cake is absolutely worth it! im looking forward to make this! Set aside … Easiest Fruit Cake is a community recipe submitted by dextersmummy and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe. The dried fruit will hydrate and plump up and soak up all of the dark rum during this time.  I soaked my fruit in peach brandy for about a week. ), the second loaf will go to a family friend in another state. Wow Laura… this looks amazing and I’m SO all about soaking dried fruit in rum. You could definitely use a good quality triple sec, or even Grand Marnier (if you feel like splurging). The mixture would need to be doubled for this size.? If stored correctly, the cake will last a month at normal room temperature. This step contributes additional moisture, as well as allows the flavors in the cake to meld and deepen over time. Is it absolutely necessary to use it particularly if I use nonstick loaf pans? Can I make this with almond flour instead of wheat flour? I had my last batch stick around for 4+ months. The cake is best eaten after a few days of aging. It is INCREDIBLY moist, especially once it has been wrapped in cheesecloth for a week. The holidays are hectic enough without worrying about your baked goods sticking! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts (and your mom’s thoughts!). 1 tsp baking soda. Hope this helps!Â, I have two loaves in the oven at this moment. Pls advise. If you’re a fruit cake cynic, hear me out! https://www.countryliving.com/food-drinks/g3610/christmas-fruitcake-recipes Thanks for the recipe. Hi! what do you mean by 2 sticks butter. Now I want fruitcake {there’s a sentence I never thought I’d say}… Big thanks to your mom for making fruitcake edible! if you’re planning on soaking the cake with sherry. Hello, Thank you so much Barbara! Your email address will not be published. At one point, my mom even attempted a very short-lived fruit cake business – that is until she realized that it is one of those expensive desserts to make (dried fruit and booze!) I made this last year and fell in love with it. I recommend re-soaking the cheesecloth every week or so, or whenever it is dry. I don’t think you would *have* to line them with parchment paper, but since the cake is on the more delicate side – I would strongly recommend lining it to be safe. This is the best fruit cake in the world – and the only fruit cake that I’ve ever loved and enjoyed. Cover it tightly with aluminium foil. would like to know instead of sherry and triple sec, would i just brush the sides of the fruitcake with rum and wrap with double baking double + double aluminum foil? Several ingredients have been revamped and simplified to make it easier to prepare in your own kitchen. Merry Christmas! The cake has a ton of dried fruit in it, so it is by nature moist, but you could try increased the alcohol amount a bit. Preheat oven to 140ºC conventional. Reduce speed to medium and add the eggs one at a time, beating just until each egg is incorporated. it could have used double the nuts i think. I’m a professionally trained chef and food writer. Remove the saucepan and leave to cool. Combine the butter with sugar, in a food processor (or mix by hand) until fluffy and creamy, as fluffy … funny, not many people say how their cake turned out– i guess because it doesn’t get eaten for a few weeks. Toss the fruits and nuts with flour: Combine the dates, raisins, cherries, and nuts with 1/4 cup of the … I’m soaking the fruit now. You could definitely try that, the flavor will not be the same though and it won’t be quite as moist because the soaking step once it’s baked also adds even more moisture/flavor. The alcohol cuts sweetness and makes this cake so fragrant and delicious! The bones of the original fruit cake recipe have remained the same, but it has been re-tested thoroughly. thank you for sharing such awesome recipe!    Also, can I soak the fruit in juice as opposed to the rum? Hope you enjoy the fruitcake and looking forward to hearing your thoughts in a few weeks! https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/christmas-special-fruitcake Sorry I didn’t get back to this sooner!   I’ll be cutting these in half to give out 8 little cake gifts. You made it look so pretty! Thank you !Â. Really appreciate you taking the time to come back and leave your thoughts. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Thanks Tieghan!! if it is, what type of juice is advisable? 😊. The best fruit cake recipe you’ll ever make! I would recommend baking at the same temperature as the original recipe, but it will probably only take 30-45 minutes for loaves of that size. What a lovely tradition! Oh and Gorgeous photos! Left a comment last year while the cakes were baking, now I’m back again to say they came out perfect and I’m making them again for the second year in a row!! I added drained pineapple and it added moisture to the cake.Thank you for taking the time to share this wonderful Christmas cake.Sandra. I just made this for the first time and couldn’t resist taking a sliver while it was still hot. Add the soaked fruit, almonds, cherries, peel and lemon or orange zest and mix well. I wouldn’t add any more dried fruit (than the recipe calls for, unless you’re substituting one for another) – because it is already very fruit heavy and the ratio will be thrown off. It's a traditional fruitcake with old fashioned flavor and it's been a family favorite for generations. 🙂, BTW, I doubled the soaking amount out of neurosis and fear. Probably make a giant one in a tube pan. Sift the flour, milk powder and spices t0gether. I would be all over this, though. We’ve been making this fruitcake for years, so I’m very confident in the recipe – but it does get prepared way in advance, so I think people forget to come back and tell me the final outcome! I put all the batter into a quite large, round cake pan (the kind where the bottom unsnaps from the sides). Oops!!! So, I’ve made the cake and it’s wrapped in sherry-soaked cheesecloth right now. 1 teaspoon mixed spices In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the all purpose flour, baking powder, spices, and salt. Thanks for your comment and appreciate you sharing more details. If you’re using the loaf pan I’m using from All-Clad, no need to grease the pan or add any parchment paper! Same taste, just easier to make and follow! If you enjoyed the recipe, I’d love for you to leave a review in the comment section below. Looks Delicious! 1 cup orange juice I cover that in the instructions, it would probably be fine in a cold cellar (who has those these days? Hope this helps and I replied soon enough!! I do not have a mixer so I have already put my husband on standby to do my stirring tomorrow. It turns cynics into converts. This looks fantastic. I saw another comment that mentioned marzipan on top. Can I put it back in the oven, 300 farenheit just to make the alcohol evaporate for maybe 5 mins. Just leftover rum for the cheesecloth. OMG this is sooo beautiful! Perfect! Slightly biased, but hope you agree! Bring the mixture to boil and simmer for about 5 minutes over low heat. It really is the best Fruitcake I’ve ever had! Thank you so much for taking the time to come back and leave a review. I’m going to ask my mom (pro about the fruit cakes) and get back to you, as it has been a while since I made this. I’ve already made two loaves and I have the fruit soaking for two more! how many portions do you recommend from this recipe? Can you substitute apple sauce for the fresh apple, and if so, how much? How long will this last if I keep soaking it each week in the sherry? Spread evenly into prepared pan and bake for about 1 hour or until cooked. Gosh I hope you see this comment soon my fruit is soaking. I have to say, my mom is the pro at making fruit cake, so I am not experienced enough in making it to know if it could be adapted into a traditional round cake form. Here’s a visual: http://www.framedrecipes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/DSC_7063_Cumin_Bread_4.jpg, Thank you Laura! hey laura! Some people recommend aging fruit cake for at least a month prior to serving or gifting, but this is not required for this fruit cake. I haven’t heard of that wine before! I would taste it on it’s own and if you enjoy the flavor, it should be ok. I’m sorry I can’t be more helpful, I just have no familiarity with that particular alcohol. Hello Laura  graye, Don’t worry about the cinnamon and nutmeg addition! I’m definitely going to try this cake but i also want to try all the recipes you’ve posted. Is it ok to soak in rum rather than sherry? After all, fruit cake is one of the most ridiculed baked goods in existence! How many grams does this translate to? One question about baking time…cause I often get that wrong when backing – either underdone or too browned! I always enjoy eating it with a glass of red wine or even a cup of espresso. I wouldn’t do too much, because it will mess up the ratios of the batter ingredients! I would assume I could just add that after baking? Hi Laura, your cake looks amazing.I am going to give a try but I don’t have dark rum. Choose from rustic country apple traybakes, toffee apple squares, loaf cakes and more.  I cheated and used some chopped maraschino cherries. I would NOT serve this cake to recovering alcoholics or children (to be honest, I don’t think this is the type of cake that most kids will love – but you never know!) allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/38933/easy-to-make-boiled-fruit-cake.aspx To remedy, can I put them back in the oven for 5 mins. Haha. Starting with this recipe. Unfortunately I don’t think that’s a good substitute in this case – the texture and moisture level is just very different, and it wouldn’t serve the same purpose. Will be using Sandemans med dry sherry after they come out of oven tomorrow and for the next few weeks. I’m going to start telling myself that…that will make me feel much better about consuming the entire loaf. Seems like a lot. I couldn’t find the metric conversion or by weight recipe.
Who Was That Masked Man Youtube, Best Seasons List 2020, Catastrophe Quotes Tumblr, Hyundai Azera 2018, Bfg Km3 Mileage, Moto G7 Power Tutorial, Msmt Full Form,